Proxmate Browser Plugin Redesign

//Redesign of a browser extension

Role: UX/UI Designer. Collaborated with the Product Owner, a Marketing Manager and a Developer.

Proxmate is a browser extension that enables users to bypass regional restrictions and browse previously restricted websites at high speed and completely privately. It started as a developer’s hobby project and evolved into a business that served over 300K users.

The stakeholders wanted to implement a new business model and also create a new brand and website to better represent the extension to current and potential users, so they contacted me and my Front End Developer partner to create a new branding and to redesign the website and the browser extension. I started with the branding, but for now you can read about Proxmate’s bread and butter, the browser extension, and its redesign.

Steps

1 - Gathered business requirements

Proxmate stakeholders requested an extension that had to be simple and clear, easy to understand from a glance and push the users into trying out specific features such as unblocking big streaming websites and the extra privacy features so they’d buy a subscription when their free trial ended.

The company had done the user research themselves and we saw that our focus would be men, 18-40 years-old and tech savvy. Based on the provided research I created a persona, our Brian was 28, a software developer who knew his way around web proxies and lived in an area where he couldn't access his preferred streaming services. He wanted The design had to be particularly straightforward and frills-free.

2 - Ideation, created versions of the extension

I sketched the customer journey map and the user flow, worked on wireframes and then on a few design iterations of the extension, layout as well as UI. Once we set on a design as a team, I built a pattern library for future use.

3 - Tested the design with first time users

I gathered 6 people from the target group, some live and some remote, and tested the interactive prototype by giving them specific tasks to complete while they walked me through their thinking and process. I fixed the few things that were unclear to them and tested again with a different group to see if they encounter other unexpected issues. They of course did, so I fixed those issues as well and we had our final design!

4 - Prepared the design for development

With everything set and approved, I prepared the pattern library, all assets, interactions and guides to Google Drive for development and the developer and I worked closely throughout the process.

proxmate.me


While working on Proxmate, I updated the design of Zapyo, a similar product from the same company, but with a different business model (free).